22 December 2005

Ebenezer - a lament

On a more serious note:

I hope everyone's holiday is going well. It seems that many folks are busy with preparations for family and such - several of the blogs I regularly visit are slow lately - but that's understandable.

I'm not a scrooge regarding Christmas, but I find it deplorable that this and Easter are the only two times per year some people attend a worship service. We should be giving thanks like this all year 'round, rather than just one or two times a year. I despise the commercialization of holidays like this. I also despise retailers who try to make people feel guilty for not giving diamonds, or jewelry, or a new car, or some such super expensive gift (thus, going into debt to do it). Valentine's Day is just as bad. Yes, I agree this is an opportunity to give gifts to each other, but I think they need to be well-thought-out gifts. I'm a practical kind of person, and I tend to give practical gifts (tools, utensils, toilet paper - you know, useful stuff), rather than "pretties". I know kids like toys, but books, puzzles, and "learning toys" are much better gifts, in my opinion.

I'm the type who looks very long and very hard for the perfect gift: one that reflects the value I see in the individual to which I give a gift, as well as the value of the gift, which I hope the recipient recognizes. I'm not the kind to throw money at frivolous things, typically. Durable goods are much better to me - gifts that truly "keep on giving". Gift certificates seem to be more and more popular these days, and, while I see the advantages in this for type of person who has everything already and for whom it is hard to shop, it still seems to be a bit impersonal. (On another note: gift certificates are a great idea for "naughty Santa" type gift exhanges, but what IS it with the craze over "naughty Santa" to begin with??? That's a whole other rant, which I will address at some point.)

I think gift-giving and letter-writing (NO, NOT email), are two arts which are on the verge of being lost, due to our "consumeristic" and "ME! NOW!" culture.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but so what. Bah, humbug.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home