07 October 2005

Geneaology

Funny how your mind works. While listening to Mike Snider sing about the "Dominecker Hen", I googled and found a site from the Library of Congress (I think) with text from verbal and written histories of people from all over the US. I stumbled upon this site because an individual had mentioned a dominecker hen in her account from 1937 in Texas. Soooo.... I decided to see what Alabama had. Let's see...just remove a couple of extensions on the URL and viola! Alabama, by county, at my fingertips. And then.... I located my home county, and sifted a little more, and found the actual text of a small book written many years ago by a distant relative, which mentioned my great-grandmother playing in the fields of Shinbone Valley, AL, as a young girl. My mind is taken back to that particular valley, to that area which I still consider home. Amazing how the internet can bring out such vivid memories and emotions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home